Monday, July 15, 2013

When other things are more important

 
On Friday, I didn't get out to do my 8K run that I had planned, nor did I get out Sunday to do my 6.5K.
 
Something much more important happened.
 
On Friday morning, I got a phone call from my Dad letting me know that my 92 year old Granny had passed away peacefully in her sleep. She'd lived a full, happy life, and left behind her 4 kids, 7 grandkids and 3 great-grandchildren (which she managed to see at the beginning of June). She fell asleep with her pearls on being ever the classy lady she was.  
 photo DSCN2807_zps9f81e612.jpg
Granny with Andrew back in October
 
Friday night was spent with my family at my parents' house. Although I don't have a role in the decision making, I thought just being around family and helping out wherever needed was best. In this case, it was getting dinner. Simple, but necessary.
 
We didn't get home until 9ish, which meant there was no 8K for me (another day I wished I had a treadmill).
 
Sunday, we spent the day at home and then went to my parents again to let my nephew spend the afternoon with my boys and collect pictures so my husband can put together a slide show of Granny's life for her memorial service on Wednesday.
 
I, honestly, feel more unprepared for the race, but I'm going to stick with the 10K I originally registered for.
 
My Granny was a lovely lady.
 
I know she'd be telling me to do what I had planned to do and do it the best I can.
 
For me, as much as I love running and training, there are more important things sometimes and clearly, for me, I made the better decision this weekend.
 


3 comments:

  1. You made the right decision! Now just trust in your training and start slow during the race. IF you feel good after a couple of miles pick up the pace a little. You can get through it fine! don't be afraid to walk a little during the race.

    http://runnersmania.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week, I was unable to work out or run at all due to hip pain. I had a 5k on Saturday. Started out slow at the beginning but felt really strong the whole run! No pain and almost PR. It might work in your favor not running as you will be excited. Run for your Grandma in pearls as she will be running beside you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your grammy. That is hard, whenever it happens. And, you're right sometimes other things are more important... and you know what... your running will be just fine! You'd be surprised that missing just a couple of workouts won't kill your race!
    Carolyn
    http://www.ccmcafeeperspective.com/

    ReplyDelete