Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I think in kilometers not miles

I hate numbers and measurements. I'm not a numbers person.
 
For example, we've been house hunting for about a year and a half now and when we look at houses online my husband can instantly picture the house in his mind and where everything is and how big the rooms are. I, on the other hand, cannot.
 
I'm a very visual person. If I need to compare the length of something, I use an 'in-my-head' ruler or meter stick. It's horrible and it takes forever to compare measurements of items let alone get the right measurement (i.e. centimetres or inches).
 
Running is a whole different ball game!
 
Miles and Kilometers on speedometer
 
Being in Canada, I use kilometers on a daily basis, just like I use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.
 
All the plans that I find online are based in miles. Run 2 miles, 4 miles, etc. I head to trusty Google, type in 4 miles and it gives me the measurement in kilometres and I know how long to run.
 
What really gets me is the races that are measured in kilometres anyway?
 
Why weren't they created in miles?
 
I even converted my Garmin.
 
 photo e598958a-2d2c-4776-ac54-3a85025b0609_zps19943c27.jpg
 
With my first run out with my Garmin I couldn't understand why it was taking so long to get one kilometer down. My running buddy and I had come home after one of our C25K runs and logged onto MapMyRun and determined that we had surely surpassed more than one kilometer. Well, it turns out my watch was set for miles. I quickly changed that one over.
 
The races definitely get me. I'm constantly on the lookout for the kilometer markers because what I think should be a kilometer is apparently a lot shorter than what a kilometer really is.
 
Want to know the scariest part of this whole thing?
 
I'm a teacher!
 
Thankfully, I teach Kindergarten and not high school! My poor students would be totally lost, just like me!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I love this. What I hate is that I have to dig out the instructions for everything (the treadmill for km and the scale for kg!) Most of my running friends are American though and I'm getting pretty good and conversions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you! It IS a little strange to be reading all these blogs where people are talking about how many miles they did yesterday and I somehow need to convert that to kilometers to have any real idea what they did. And I, as well, have run into that "forgetting to convert the electronics" thing--initially got some VERY confusing results. At some point I realized that MY 5k was essentially someone ELSE'S 3 miles and that's made it all simpler! Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete