Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Panic begins to set in!

A week today, I run my next race.
 
It's a 10K.
 
I'm panicking.
 
Definitely pushing the panic button!
 
 Like, constantly thinking about it, doubting myself, wondering what I got myself into, reassuring myself, then wondering if I can switch my registration, then saying 'no, that's silly', I can do this and then the whole process starts all over again.
 
I have to admit, I didn't really have these feelings with my first 5K but I think it's because I had a buddy with me. I knew I was prepared, that I would finish it and that I'd have a great friend helping me through if I needed it.
 
Even my second 5K. I was nervous because of the giant hill, but I knew I could run the 5K and that I would be alright.
 
This one is completely different.
 
Since the weekend, I've been panicking and the number 10 has been staring me in the face!
 
File:Junction 10.svg
It's everywhere!
 
I ran 6.5 km on Saturday evening. I barely made it through them. Granted, the first part was downhill and the second was uphill almost the entire way, it definitely didn't help my confidence even though the race is a completely flat course.
 
I haven't run an entire 10K before. The most I've gotten is 7K (to this point). Tomorrow I have 8 km on my training plan so we'll see how that goes.
 
My biggest fear?
 
Coming last.
 
I know someone has to be last, but I don't want it to be me.
 
I honestly think I'd cry if I was last.
 
I could always pull a Tonya Harding and ensure I'm not last I guess (just joking!)
 
Any ideas on how to stop me from panicking??
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Victoria. Victoria. Victoria. Breathe. :)

    Break the run into manageable segments.

    The first 2 miles are your warm up (let the knuckleheads sprint - you'll pass them at the end)
    The next 2 miles you settle in to your pace.
    The next 2 miles you hold on because you know you can run 2 miles.
    And for the final .25 you run to the tape.

    Have a great time and remember, you can do this!

    Now go run!
    Keli :)
    http://marinbreakfastklub.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Keli! I was going to break it up into two 5k races (in my head)but I think smaller chunks might be the way to go!

      Delete
    2. I like your breakdown so much, I'm going to use it myself!!!

      Delete
    3. I love that breakdown. I am going to think about it this weekend for my 10K!

      Delete
  2. Very good advice above. I also ran my first 10k without ever having run 10k. You can do it! Can't wait to read the report.

    ReplyDelete