Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What have I done!?

Yesterday, I made the decision to change my entry in the Niagara Falls International Marathon from a 10K to a Half Marathon!
 
RunFEST
Hold me!
 
I've been reading about half marathons and how it's becoming a popular distance and how people that haven't really run much are able to complete a half after following training plans.
 
I figure, I run at least 3 times a week and have been working at it since January.
 
I can do it!
 
I emailed the organizer yesterday and changed my registration to a half marathon.
 
I figured this would be the one to do for a couple reasons.
 
1. It's kind of the culmination of the racing season for me and the last big race nearby. What better way to end my first 'running' year.
 
2. The boys aren't coming with us therefore my husband can find something to keep himself occupied for however long it will take me without having to worry about keeping the boys busy as well.
 
3. It just feels right after I'll have done the gradual build up of distances. Plus it's a flat course with a downhill at the end.

 
The funniest part is that once I go back to work in September, I'll have more time to train. I think that's the opposite for most people. For many other people, work gets in the way but for me, the boys will be in daycare and I finish school at 3:30 so I have plenty of time to run before I need to pick them up. I'll hopefully join a gym too so I can get some indoor running in if necessary due to cold weather and rain as well as some strength training.
 
So now, it's time to get focused on better nutrition and get all these things figured out before I bust my butt into my half in October!
 


1 comment:

  1. Half marathons are a great distance to progress to. I'm sure you will do just great! Train well, the rest will follow!

    ReplyDelete