Monday, July 8, 2013

So many races, so little time!

How do you decide which races to participate in?
 
I've found that there are so many races on any given weekend that it's almost like a sensory overload for me!!
 
I've chosen all my races for this year and it is roughly once a month.
 
I've chosen them based on distance I'd be running, distance from home and timing of the run.
 
I wanted to choose runs that I figured would still be fun but weren't too much work for my husband considering he has the two boys to look after and I do like having them at my races. Knowing I get to see them at the end of the race is very motivating!
 
However, as they get older I'll be able to get to races that are further away. Especially when they become teenagers (*gasp*) and can stay home alone.
 
I also have my bucket list to consider. I want to run a race in every province/territory in Canada which ties nicely into our goal of taking the boys on trips during the summer to see the different provinces/territories. If I could time these perfectly I could reach both goals!

I've spent lots of time reading other blogs and reading race recaps. It's definitely opening my eyes as to what I should look for when I register and participate in a race. So far, two out of the three races have been really good so I must have picked some good ones!!

How do you pick your races?
 Do you plan other trips around races?
Do you stay close to home or adventure out?
Do you stick to the tried and true ones or do you branch out? How many races do you run a year?

1 comment:

  1. Since I've started running I've planned trips around races---a half marathon is a great way to see a new place! Also, I like to try different races, there are just too many to keep running the same ones over and over again :)

    ReplyDelete