Thursday, June 27, 2013

My new training plan & a booboo!

I'm stepping up my races in the next couple months.
 
July I'm doing a 10 K and August I'm doing a 15K.
 
I mentioned this to a friend who runs half marathons (she's doing the 15K with me) and she directed me towards to Hal Higdon's website and training programs.
 
I have a little over 7 weeks until my 15K and I'm going to start at Week 3 of the training schedule. I've looked it over and I'm already running all of the distances he has listed. I think started at Week 3 would set me up nicely for my 15K.
 
Calendars
 
My 10K, not so much but all I can do it try my best during that race and since it will be my first 10K, no matter what my time is it will still be a PR and then I can improve on it when I head to Niagara Falls to do the 10K there.
 
I'm hoping I can keep up with this schedule. I can already sense that I might have to be moving some stuff around but I think that adding stretching, strength and cross training and structured distances into my training will definitely be beneficial.
 
 
Maybe it'll also push me past my 157 lb plateau that I've been stuck on.
 
Now, my booboo as my 2 year old calls it.
 
I've run into the classic problem of CHAFING!
 
After my Colour Me Rad 5K I had a little bit of it. It was sore, but really I figured it would just go away no problem.
 
Then I went for a run on Tuesday in really hot, sticky, humid weather wearing my running shorts because the capris were just too ridiculously hot.
 
So here's my question to you:
 
How do you stop this?
 
I put polysporin on after my run, but how do you prevent it?
 
I'll take anything at this point!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. It's pretty much always hot, sticky and humid here, but I have yet to have an issue with chafing.

    Body Glide, or similar is supposed to be amazing. You can also use stick deodorant instead of BG or until you get some. Just put it on the areas that get affected. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was out for a run and got hit with some serious chafing. Stuck with limited options, I detoured to my in-laws and raided the cabinets. In a pinch I went with Crisco. It actually worked quite well.

    Next I need to try something more conventional. FWIW I've heard a lot of people really like TriSlide. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Body Glide is great stuff. It comes in a stick like a deodorant, and you just rub it on wherever you get the chafing (arms, legs, really wherever). It works really, really well.

    When I did charity walks that were 60 miles in 3 days, I even put it on my feet to prevent blisters.

    ReplyDelete