Monday, June 3, 2013

Race Recap - Bread & Honey Festival

Sunday I participated in my 2nd race.

It was the annual Bread and Honey Festival Race
 
 photo IMG_20130601_211046_zps1eba1c48.jpg
 
It was kind of a hot mess. Literally.

The weather was interesting. At 6:15 am (when I woke up) there was a downpour! I immediately thought, oh *beep* (G rated blog here).

Luckily, by the time we left for the race at 7:15, the rain had stopped. But holy crap, it was humid. Like, so humid that my hair was starting to look as though I'd stuck my finger into a light socket.

I dressed for rainy weather. I hate the feeling of rain on my arms (it gives me the heebeejeebees) so I wore a long sleeved shirt and running capris.

Here's where things go wrong.

I didn't run at all last week. Life got in the way. Plus, I have a cold/allergies that hit on Friday and has hung around all weekend. Oh ya, did I mention the lack of sleep I get before big events? Ya, big events make for some horrible dreams.

My running capris, they had a string. Notice, had. It came out in the wash and I figured my pants would stay on without it. Nope, I spent the first 30 seconds of the race trying to make sure my pants weren't going to fall down. Then I got sweaty so they stuck.

Then, the sun came out. The temperature must have jumped up to 50 degrees Celsius. Ok, not 50, but it felt like it!

The humidity attacked after that and got the better of my lungs. I haven't run much in humid weather yet and now know that training needs to be done. A lot of training in humid weather.

That's when the walking started. I had one kilometre where my time was 7:35! WHAT?! That was just utterly ridiculous to me and so frustrating.

Eventually, I made it back to the finish line and received my cute little medal (one of the reasons I signed up) and stewed about the race the rest of the day.

 photo IMG_20130602_154852_zpsc46f4266.jpg

What I learned from this race: tank tops or t-shirts are necessary in humid weather, I need to invest in more running shorts (I have one pair), running with a cold/allergies sucks, morning races are stressful and affect my sleep and not running the week before is definitely a no-no for me!

My next race is the end of June and it's Color Me Rad! I'm doing this race with my sister-in-law and some of her friends so I'm really excited!
post signature
Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

1 comment:

  1. I did this race as well. I walked THREE TIMES! It was so, so, so gross that day! Nice write up.

    ReplyDelete