Friday, June 21, 2013

It pays to push!

The other day I wrote about me not pushing myself enough and how I constantly wuss out on things.
 
Before I started running, I thought, well there's no use doing on 3 or 4 kilometers if you've already done 6 or 7. That's just going backwards. I thought I needed to constantly be pushing the kilometers up to get better.

Well, I changed that thinking.
 
Last night, I set myself on a quick route around my neighbourhood. I'd played softball Wednesday night and usually my legs are a mess. Since, I didn't run much during softball (not a great hitting night) my legs were feeling a little tired but decent. No shin soreness, just a little fatigued.
 
I decided that I want to do the 4K route right around where my house is and that it each kilometer had to be under 6:30 and I wanted to be 25:00 minutes.
 
Well, for the most part I did it.
 
My km times were as follows
 
1: 6:17
2: 6:08
3: 6:23
4: 6:11
 
I managed to complete it in 25:00 minutes.
 
I probably could have gone a bit faster at the end, but I was distracted by my husband and kids sitting out on the lawn watching the construction vehicles.
 
I wouldn't say I was completely out of my comfort zone the entire time, but by the end I was really pushing myself. My brain even tried to adjust my goal, or be alright with something other than what I set out to do, but I shut that down quite quickly and said "Nope. We're doing what we set out to do!
 
And I did it!!

As an added bonus, my husband mentioned that my legs were more toned and a lot better!!
 
Linking up over at Running Bloggers for Fitness Friday!!
 
 

13 comments:

  1. way to go!! sometimes we need to take it easy and sometimes we need a butt kicking which reminds us how much we can actually do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I needed the push too to help me remind me how good it feels when I really succeed at something.

      Delete
  2. way to push yourself! If we don't push ourselves then no one else will! way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome!!! I need to work on my pace and push myself too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neat thing is was that I didn't see it as working on anything, as much as an I'm just going to run. I've been so caught up in trying to get in longer kilometer runs that I hadn't been pushing myself enough. It's a great feeling.

      Delete
  4. Great run! There is definitely a benefit to the shorter runs, though I see why one would feel like they don't serve a purpose. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only way to get better is knowing what you are capable. If you don't push yourself you will never know how good you can be.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete