Thursday, June 20, 2013

Gels, Chews and Bars, Oh My!!

I'm starting to do a little more research into running nutrition.
 
I'm trying to adjust my eating to lose the last of the weight that I want to lose, as well as to give me the greatest nutrition for my running. I don't want to hit the wall because I didn't eat enough or the proper things.
 
 red-brick-wall-texture.jpg
I sure don't want to hit the wall! Have you ever hit it?
 
While doing some research, I've come across different ways to get the push you need to finish those longer runs. I know they aren't necessary during a 5K (and for a lot of people within a 10K race) but I'm doing a 15K race later in August and I want to make sure that I'm properly prepared.
 
There are so many different gels, chews, bars and drinks that I can't keep them all straight. There are also so many companies making them.


So many to choose from!!
 
How do you choose which one is best?
 
I've heard that it's a personal thing and that certain people handle all different kinds with no problems and others have to stick to one specific type/company/flavour or they spend a lot of time in the port-a-potties before, during and after the race.

I'm assuming you just try them out as you go and you eventually figure out where to start?

Any recommendations on how to do this??

P.S. I honestly never thought there was this much to running....but I love it all!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I think nutrition during runs is very much a trial and error process- you need to find what works for you. I went from using nothing when I did my first half marathon to trying probably every bar, gel, chew under the sun. I am still finding what works best for me.

    What seems to work the best (at least for now) is 1/2 a lara bar and a gel. The gel gives me instant energy and the lara bar takes a bit to digest and helps sustain me for the long-term

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what goes in my body is definitely my weak point. Part of me is excited to try out all these different products, but I'm nervous of how I'll react at the same time. Thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  2. Get one of each and try them at your leisure - it might be an expensive endeavor.
    The GU gels seem to work well for me, but anything with caffeine makes me a bit jittery. I definitely need something after about 7km.

    Best of luck with figuring it out. This is one of the fun parts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all look so intimidating in the fancy packaging too!

      Delete
  3. I wrote a post about this on my blog:
    http://troublerun.blogspot.com/2013/06/i-gu-do-you.html

    I use GU gels, but I run with a club, and they have a whole bunch of different preferences. You might want to research the races you run to see what they supply and then try that. I stuck with GU because many of my races supply it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh, good point about what the races supply! I didn't even think of that. I don't think I'll have to deal with that this season because I'm not going very high in my distances, but maybe next season. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hi there! Isn't it crazy how many options there are for gels/chews/bars!? I have tried MANY of the products out there and I definitely think a lot of the decision making is personal preference. For example, I found that I can't use the gels as I tend to burp them up (sorry to be gross haha) during the run. It is something about the texture that messes with my tummy. But, I am very fond of the chews... I love the cliff shot blocks (margarita flavor with added salt for half marathons as I tend to be a salty sweater). I also love the gu chomps (every flavor I have tried has been great) and recently tried Sharkies that are great too. I would suggest trying different products before buying a whole box of one. I made the mistake of buying an entire box of peanut butter gel that I now cannot stomach. haha! BEST OF LUCK! This is one of the fun parts of running longer distances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I tried a bunch of gels, blocks, beans, and even drinks before I find a few I liked. I'm from Seattle, and Nuun is a super cool electrolyte liquid... it comes in tablets and you add it to your water. Unfortunately -- even though I like everything about the company, the drink makes me slightly queasy. I've tried a bunch of flavors, and they all leave me feeling "ooky" after 15 minutes. Bummer! But I did find that Gatorade and Powerade both work fine for me. Same with gels -- Hammer Gel and Clif Shots work great for me, some others, not so much. Go to a good running store near you, buy one flavor of each of the different kinds, and see what works for you on long runs. Even better -- if there's a big marathon in your town, go to the expo and try to pick up a bunch of different samples. A girlfriend of mine is training for her first half and came to the Seattle Rock 'n' Roll expo to try a bunch of different things. You need to find something that a) doesn't make you feel icky and b) is tasty enough that you WANT to eat it, even on a hard run. I love Vanilla Bean Clif Shots and Chocolate Hammer Gels. I also like the Clif Blox in chocolate cherry with caffeine, but I also find it "too much" at once.
    Good luck with your training!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to figure this out as well! Running my first half in October.

    ReplyDelete