Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Run Gone Wrong

Alright, so it wasn't horribly wrong and I'm exaggerating a lot, but yesterday's run kind of sucked.
 
I had all intentions of going out and adding to my 7.01 km I did the other day.
 
I was going to push 7.5km, but apparently my body, clothes and the heat disagreed. I only did 5.42 km
 
The first minute of my run usually sucks.
 
It's the point where my legs are arguing with my, I need to adjust most of my clothes and I really just want to turn around.
 
My right knee was nagging at me from the get go, which is strange because it's usually my left knee that gives me issues. I've also been having a lot of issues with my sciatic pain that was left over from my last pregnancy. It decided to flair up today too.
 
It was also one of the hotter days I've run in. I went from starting out running in this (back in January):
 
 photo 09984fa3-8e94-4378-9884-2f6501e233bb_zps2691d731.jpg
 
to running in this:
 
 photo DSC_1081_zps6ad3ec2d.jpg
 
My body is still adjusting to the heat I think! Also, running in the evening is often a lot cooler where as yesterday's run was in the afternoon.
 
The top I wore yesterday had straps that kept sliding off so I had to tuck them under my sports bra. Then my shorts needed to be adjusted during the first little bit because they feel like they're going to fall down until I get sweaty enough that they'll stay.
 
However, after sitting with my thoughts for awhile, I decided that while it may have sucked during it, there was a time where I couldn't run 5.42 km without having to stop and walk most of it. There will also be a time where I can't run 5.42 km so I should just suck it up and be happy that I did it.
 
 I do need to push myself more though or a 10K under an hour will be hard to do at my race in July.

How was your run this weekend??
 



5 comments:

  1. Mine was hot, humid, and miserable. It was 80 degrees before 7:30am, and I managed a slow 5.25 miles. Ugh. Congrats on sticking it out, and on finding the positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine that! It only got up to 77 here, but I guess I've got to work into the heat slowly. I figure that any one is better than none some days.

      Delete
  2. I am also still adjusting to the heat and humidity. It seems to take so much extra energy to stay on my feet when the temps cross 80! Good for you for pushing through :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity is horrible! I find it stops me from getting good breaths.

      Delete
  3. I had the same experience on Sunday. Its easy to underestimate how much of an impact heat/humidity can have on your body, on your run, your performance, etc. All that matters is that you get out there though (and stay hydrated). The only "bad" run is the run that didn't happen :)

    ReplyDelete