Saturday, June 13, 2015

Nike Women's 15K in Toronto

I'm running again this weekend.

After this, I'm taking a break until August!

On Sunday, I'm doing the Nike Women's 15K race on the Toronto Island.

Nike Women 15K Toronto

I'm kind of looking forward to it, but the idea of all the logistics to get there are kind of dampening my spirits.

The race takes place on the Toronto Island, which is great in itself, except that you need to take a ferry to get across. The ferry is fine as well, once you get to it. I'm taking the 8:00am ferry across (according to my ticket), but I'm not set to run until 10:00. The ferry takes 20 minutes at most! What do I do there for an hour and a half?! I figure I'll bring my book and catch up on a few chapters while I have the chance!

Also, getting there is going to be a pain. One of the main streets into the city to get to the ferry is closed off due to the Toronto Honda Indy that is held at the exhibition. I was looking at taking the train and then grabbing a cab to the ferry terminal, but the first train running won't get in until my ferry has already left! I'm just going to drive in and wing it from there.

Image

Oh and we're only given a plastic bag to hold our belongings for bag check. Usually, I don't even use the bag check, but since I'm going to be leaving early and hanging around for awhile I figured I'd bring some stuff to keep me occupied. Then I remembered the little bag. So I guess I'll have to see how much I can fit into my bag before hand. I'll wear my warm clothes, shove them in my plastic bag with my keys and hope they'll all come back to me.

I am looking forward to running for two reasons. One, the necklace! Not sure what it looks like until race day, but I'm really excited to get another necklace. And two, I get to use my new Garmin Forerunner 220. I got it for my birthday last weekend and haven't had a chance to use it between the weather, other commitments and knee pain. I'm hoping that knowing my pace while I'm running will help me keep going.

In my previous (and only other) 15K, I set a time for myself of 2:03. I'm seriously hoping to PB on this race and unless something crazy happens I should be able to. I finished my last 10K race at 1:10 so adding another 5K in shouldn't take me too long.

Anyway, I'm hoping that everything works out and that my race report next week is a positive one (on both the getting there end and the racing end)!

No comments:

Post a Comment