Thursday, June 4, 2015

My upcoming try-a-tri!

So panic is really starting to set in.

On Sunday, I'm starting to plant my foot into the world of triathlons.

I'm participating in a try-a-tri at a local conservation area.

I haven't gone swimming since March and even that was just parent and tot swimming with my youngest son. I've taken my bike for a spin here and there but not very far or very long.

Luckily, the event is short. It is a 350m swim, a 10k bike ride and a 2.5k run.

The biggest question I have been asking myself all week is if I need a wetsuit. Since the temperatures have been really warm, the lake temperature has been on the warmer side but the temperatures aren't supposed to be overly warm on Sunday. The downside is that I don't own a wetsuit. I'd have to rent one and the idea of renting one for a 350m swim isn't favourable. Plus, it's a 45 minute drive to pick it up on Friday afternoon (one way) and then another drive on Monday to return it. Decisions, decisions. I'm going to call the store today and see if they have any left. If not, my decision is made!
I'm actually really nervous about the transitions.
Little Marlow Lakes open water swimming
This might be the scariest part (an open water swim)


I spent a lot of time looking at Phaedra's post on Tuesday, which was all about streamlining transitions. I'm using all of her tips to get myself set up on Sunday. Granted, I don't have the fancy cycling shoes or tri suit so I'm going to have to put on shorts and a tank as well as socks and take the time to do up my running shoes. Also, I'll be riding a hybrid bike, so I'm not expecting to burn it up on the bike.
Trek Hybrid 7500 Bike


I figure this is my starting point. I'm already signed up for a sprint triathlon in August (Iron Girl) so I have to figure it out all pretty quick. Beginning June 14th, I'm hoping to follow an 8 week sprint triathlon training program that I've found online. It'll be tricky because we do have a family trip planned to Philadelphia as well as a trip to the cottage (good for open water swimming) but the biking might suffer a bit.


Either way, I'm looking to have fun trying out a new sport. I have a couple friends doing the sprint triathlon and a friend trying the duathlon so I figure it'll be fun morning if anything!


Anyone else done a try-a-tri? How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment