Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I'm a triathlete...Part 2!

If you didn't get a chance to read Part 1 of my try-a-tri recap you can find it here.

Anyway, I finished my bike, hopped off and somehow ran it back to the transition area to re-rack it. Boy, did my legs not work properly. I now understand the importance of brick workouts! I got back to my spot and put my bike in the wrong way and I couldn't get the handlebars under the rack. I should have gone in backwards and clearly didn't. I ended up tipping my bike sideways and got it under. I had already clipped my number on so all that was left was to take off my helmet and adjust my hair. This was easy to do because I still couldn't run. My legs were not under me yet!

The 2.5k run course for the try-a-tri started out with a steep uphill. There was no way I was running that. I got myself to the top, still walked for a couple more seconds to make sure everything was still working and then started running. The run course was on trails and clearly there were some rainy days with vehicles driving over the trails because there were many places where the trail was torn up a bit and I had to watch my footing.

Mount Everest as seen from Drukair2 PLW edit.jpg
This is what that hill felt like after the bike ride!

I hit up the water station, grabbed a water and a gatorade and felt much better after that. I hadn't had much to drink and definitely needed that fluid. I hit the turn-around point that was in the nice shady woods and then hit the water station again on the way back. After that my legs were good to go and I managed to get myself running a what I assumed was a decent pace the rest of the way back. I finished the running portion in 17:24 which isn't the greatest time for me, but I'm happy with it!

My overall race time was 1:05:54.9!

I ended coming in near the end of the race because about 5 minutes after I finished they blew the whistle to re-open the transition zone for us to get our stuff. Even though I was near the end, I'm not disappointed. It was my first try-a-tri, I hadn't trained well at all and I was just hoping to finish, which I did! However, I did learn a lot along the way.

Here's what I learned:

*I need a better bike (looking for one in the fall when prices drop)
* I need to practice my swim (both in the pool and open water)
*I need more brick training from the bike to running
* I need to place a water bottle on my towel for in between
* I need a tri-suit or at least something that will wick away the water better
* I need to challenge myself each year on my birthday

and lastly...

I loved every minute of it and can't wait to do another one!

I will definitely be doing Ironman Muskoka 70.3 at some point in my life (I'm thinking two years).

I am registered for IronGirl Sprint in August so until then I will be training, training, training!

Iron Girl's Logo

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you! Well done on finishing your first and all the best for continued training.

    ReplyDelete