Monday, July 28, 2014

STWM - Week 1 Recap

By the way - STWM is Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon.

This week's training was fairly easy.


Monday - Rest
This was nice and easy. I ended up taking the boys to a playground/splash pad and now that they're getting bigger I just have to watch and make sure Andrew doesn't break anything. When they went into the splash pad, I was able to relax and get some reading done (with quick glances to make sure the boys were still there).


Tuesday - 5 km (31:39)
Wow! It was hot. I waited until after Andrew went to bed to go for my run and it was definitely still very warm. It felt like I was running through a pile of molasses! It was sticky, slightly sunny and there were lots of people out walking. I almost got hit by a car or two (or three) along the way.


Wednesday - Track (2 sets of 5 x 200m)
The temperature wasn't too bad so the track workout was pretty good. My legs were sore but I decided to push since I have Thursdays as a rest day. All of my 200s were down under 60s except the last one of the second set. I'd just run out of gas. I had a great time and came back home feeling great. I did 8.11 km overall.

 photo DSC_1947_zps12eb0643.jpg
Thursday - Rest
The boys and went for a walk to the playground and then through a path in the little forest to another playground. They walked for some of it, but rode in the wagon for the entire way back. They are getting heavy! I also did some abs and stretching in the evening.
Friday - 5 km


I'm going to really try to push runs on Friday nights or at least stay below the 6:15/km pace. I'll have had a rest day between the track and this run. This week, I managed to squeak out another 5K PR of 29:37. It's a PR by 0.02! I'll take it. I did really well in my first 2K but once I turned a corner it became a battle with the wind tunnel I happened to be running in, I slowed down significantly. I had built up a buffer of 30 seconds to keep myself under the 30 minutes and took advantage of it.




Saturday - Cross Training
I didn't do any cross training. I did do some shopping. I always let my husband go bike riding/roller blading first since weekends are really his only time to do when it's decent and sunny outside. Unfortunately, when it was my turn it was rainy. So I went to Chapters and investigated triathlon books instead. I promise the cross training will pick up (eventually)


Sunday - 6.5 km
So this didn't quite happen. The Husband decided to take my youngest to the 'big city' for the day so I ended up having a date at Chuck E Cheese with the older one. After that, he had soccer, then we headed to my parents for a swim (in the 33 degree humidity) and then we ran into a thunderstorm. So , I've moved my long run to today since 6.5 km isn't really that long of a run for me.

 photo DSC_1976_zpsd888062c.jpg


Total kilometres in Week #1 - 18km


Here's what's up for this week:


Week #2
Monday - Rest 6.5 km
Tuesday - 5km
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - 5km tempo
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Swim
Sunday - 5 mile (8km) run


We're heading to a family cottage for part of the weekend so I'm going to do some open water swimming (along with some fishing).


My motto for this week:
Gibson's Daily Running Quotes leadville trail 100


What's on your plan for this week?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't have a great training week last week - i just felt I didn't push myself very much. This week is going a lot better so far! Good luck with your training! I am training for my first half in Sept so I have to step up my game! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like week one of training was an excellent start! It never fails that life gets in the way of exercise, but you were able to adapt and get the job done. Balancing good running workouts, both distance and speed training, with proper rest and recovery will ensure your success in accomplishing your running goals.

    Modesto Culbertson @ D & Z Law Group

    ReplyDelete