Friday, August 22, 2014

To gym or not to gym...

...that is the question.
 
There is a gym around the corner from me that is fairly cheap. It's a very basic gym and I often see a lot of very muscle-y people in their pictures (which I clearly am not), but I'm torn as to whether or not to join.
 
 
It's $10 a month with different other fees thrown in, but overall it's less than $250 for a year, which I can't beat I'm assuming. The distance is only about 0.75 km away as well so I can't complain about it being too far away.
 
I know that once the winter comes, my motivation for running severely drops because of the freezing temperatures and the treadmill becomes very appealing. I'd also like to get more into toning (once I lose some more weight) and know that weights are the way to do that.
 
The gym does offer some classes, but not a ton and many of them do not fit into my schedule and are either in the morning, or around 6:30 which is my chance to spend time with the boys. I would solely be going for the treadmill and weights and maybe the elliptical and bike.
 
Since I'm going to start working on training for sprint triathlons next summer, I want to start doing triathlon training which would include some swimming and biking.
 
One turn-off from joining the gym is that there is no pool. I've also signed up for a spin class at a different studio because it fits my schedule better (8-9). To do swim training, I have to go to the community center during lane swim times, which costs and additional $3.50. That would be three different places to go to train.
 
 
Lastly, I worry about time.
 
Working full time as a kindergarten teacher, dealing with two little boys and spending quality time with my husband is busy but also very important to me. I have time to get to the gym and go for a run before work since we're up around 6:15, the boys leave at 7:00 and I don't have to leave until 8:30ish but I'm not a morning person. I'm thinking I need to become one.
 
 
What would you do?
 
Join the gym or just try to get it done at home?

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had a gym close to me that was only $10. I think that's worth it for access to the weight equipment. There is one in that price range sort of near me, but it's like a twenty minute drive. The closer larger ones with pools and classes are all $45 and up. I've been a member, and I've only really gotten to use the pool once. Generally speaking, the lanes are occupied by older men taking their time, so it tends to be a longer wait than I have patience for. For the price and the distance, it seems like a decent deal for you. $10 is about the cost of eating one lunch out (a rare occasion for teachers, I know). I'd join. If you find you're not using the membership, you can always cancel.

    ReplyDelete