Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Half Marathon training begins (kind of)!

So there are approximately 11 weeks until my first half marathon in Niagara Falls on October 27th.
 
I found a 10 week training plan that I'm going to follow and have that one extra week for laziness/illness/life. It's supposed to start today.
 
However, I'm still quite sore from my 15km that I did on Saturday. My legs are tired, my knees are achy and a good chunk of the pain has actually moved up into my shoulders and neck. I'm assuming that means that I'm tense up in that area when I'm running so it's something I need to work on for sure. Therefore, I'm skipping today's training and I'll run on Wednesday. I figure I won't be losing any fitness.
 
Here's my schedule:
 
10-Week Half Marathon Training Schedule
Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Total
1
3
Rest
3
3
Rest
4
Rest
13
2
3
Rest
4
3
Rest
5
Rest
15
3
3
Rest
4
3
Rest
6
Rest
16
4
3
Rest
5
3
Rest
8
Rest
19
5
3
Rest
5
3
Rest
10
Rest
21
6
4
Rest
5
4
Rest
11
Rest
24
7
4
Rest
6
4
Rest
12
Rest
26
8
4
Rest
5
4
Rest
9
Rest
22
9
3
Rest
4
3
Rest
8
Rest
18
10
3
Rest
3
Walk 2
Rest
13.1
Rest
21.1
 
 It only lays out the miles I need to run and it'll be up to me to add in the cross-training and types of workouts I feel like doing. I figure that's the easiest way for me to do this and it's fairly easy to get back on track if something goes awry.
 
I also have two more races before the half. I'm doing a 5K at the Zoo and the CIBC Run for the Cure at the beginning of October.
 
I'm going to be aiming for a 2:30 half marathon. My friend, Lisa, told me about the pacing bands on the Running Room website and I'm so excited about being able to use it.
 
I've also added a countdown to my sidebar so that I can see the days go by!
 
I'm getting excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment