Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Midsummer Night Run 15K Recap

Yesterday I ran my first 15km race.
 
 
A friend of mine encouraged me to sign up for this 15km way back in May and I figured I had time to train for it. In stepped life and while I wasn't completely prepared, I wasn't completely unprepared either.

The day started out with a drive down to Toronto, where I met my friend Lisa (the encourager!) and my sister (who had picked up my race kit for me but she wasn't running). We hoped on the shuttle to get to the island ferry. The drive was horrible due to traffic, but we got on the first ferry and made it over to the islands quickly.

 photo DSC_1423_zpsf16e04b0.jpg
Pulling into the Islands

We walked to the starting line area and waited for about 2 hours before the 15km race was supposed to start. Of course, it gives me time for my nerves to build up and think about wanting to quit before even beginning but I didn't. We also waited in some ridiculously long washroom and bag check lines.

 The race began and I stayed up with Lisa for the first 6km. She had set a goal time of 1:52:00 - 1:58:00 whereas I set a goal to run as much as I could and get across the finish line.

At 6km, Lisa began pulling away from and I lost sight of her but secretly kept pushing her along in my mind. She ran 10:1s and I needed to stretch them out to 1:30 of walking. She actually ran it in 1:47 and managed to beat the goal time she'd set out for herself.

The course was nice. It went all over the Toronto Islands. The only bad part was the large number of people that were on the Islands since it was still open to the public. There were lots of walkers, bike riders and picnickers. It was pretty crazy. We ran on sand, grass, asphalt and even a wooden boardwalk. I hated the boardwalk. It was too uneven and when other people ran on the planks beside me they would lift up under my feet.

I finished the race in 2:03:01 (although I'm not sure because my chip and gun time are the same and I definitely wasn't at the front of the line). I came in 1209 and was 251 out of 279 females ages 30-39. Honestly, I'm just glad to finish and to not be on the last page of the results, even though I was cutting it close.

 photo IMG_20130817_232402_zpseda869f3.jpg
My finisher medal
 
Then came the bad part of waiting to get back home. We had to wait for 3 ferries and in a mass of people. It was quite nuts and after running for 2 hours, the last thing I wanted to do was stand in line.

 photo DSC_1431_zps65b04fee.jpg
Toronto on the way home!

I finally made it home at about 11:00 pm (after leaving at 2:00). It was a long day. The race was very well organized and I'd do it again, if it wasn't on the Island or they figured out some better way for the ferries on the way home. That was the only downside I saw the whole day.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the ridiculous pain! I can barely walk down the stairs!

Up next is the start to my half marathon training!! I'm looking forward to it!

What were you up to this weekend?
post signature
Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

7 comments:

  1. The 15k is a fun distance. I just did my first one a few weeks ago. It was in Baltimore not as scenic as yours but it was good. That is a nice medal they gave. Mine you did not receive a medal.

    http://misfitrunner.blogspot.com/

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the races up here give finisher's medal even if you don't place. It was actually quite heavy and I usually wear them home, but I had to put it in my bag instead!

      Delete
  2. I've got a 15K in March and I'm so excited for it. It sounds like a great distance!

    The ferry situation would definitely annoy me. Who wants to deal with that? But it must have been fun getting to run a course around the island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The island was gorgeous. I think that's what helped. There was always something to look at and be distracted by so I wasn't thinking about the distance. I had to remind myself to keep my head up too so that I could see what I was running by.

      Delete
  3. Great job on your 15k. I've never run one, but it's an intriguing distance. A mix of speed and endurance. Good luck in training for your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. It was definitely more of a survival than speed or endurance. I enjoyed it though. I felt great afterwards, except my legs of course.

      Delete
  4. Usually this is a road race into the Lesley spit and Ashbridges Bay. It should return next year. Their bus organization is amazing.

    Congrats on your race. Too bad I didn't see you!

    ReplyDelete